Sophie's Adventures in Ghana

Thursday, November 02, 2006

First post from Accra!

Hello my pretties

Well, I have arrived in Accra! After a long and fairly uneventful journey with a stopover in Frankfurt, I finally arrived in Accra, Saturday evening at 6. The heat was not as bad as I had expected coming off of the airplane, though the airport rather intimidating as has been predicted by those who have taken the journey before me. Thankfully, my host was quick to find me as I left the comfort of the airport...and so it is that I met Vincent, Dr. Tettey's brother. He loaded my four bags (yes, I overpacked but the kind air canada woman let my extra kilo or so slide) into his car, and off we went to Ogbojo, where he resides with his lovely family. The house is very nice, and I have my own little guest house to the side, complete with a big room, living room, kitchen, bathroom and even a television and phone. The neighborhood is very nice and everyone very friendly, though it is rather far from Accra's center and where I will be working.

Since settling in, resting and getting used to the heat and the new environment, I have been discovering Accra, an amazing city that words will never be able to describe adequately. It is very very very busy, with constant bustling, coming and going and neverending traffic jams. This explains in part why it takes me 2 hours on average to get from home to my organization (oh, and this is one way!) As had been repeated to me many a times prior to arriving, Ghanaians are extremely friendly and welcoming. They do not hesitate to help a poor Obrowni (white person) in need, while also taking the time to chat, find out where I am from, and laugh at me on too, but all in good fun. The culture shock is really not that bad, and I feel like I am settling in very fast, learning the ropes, meeting people.

I was also fortunate to be in touch with a young man by the name of Tim for about 8 months prior to finally arriving, with email correspondences and occasional telphone calls. We had been really looking forward to meeting each other, and as expected the reunion proved absolutely wonderful. He is incredibly nice and interesting, involved in various volunteer work in addition to his jobs as a primary school teacher and PR person for a dance troupe. Tim has taken me under his wing, showing me Accra, introducing me to his workplace, his lovely and warm family, his incredibly talented dance troupe and his friends. I feel so very fortunate to have such an amazing friend right upon arriving. I've also run into a few Canadian souls, including Aaron, a friend from Calgary who is doing an internship at the Ghana AIDS Commission. He has been here for two months already, so has a chockfull of good advice and tips for a novice expat in Accra like myself! We will be meeting in a few hours to attend a small party at the Canadian High Commission, so more meetings with Obrownis are on the horizon!

And finally, the principal reason for my stay...work! It promises to be quite an experience and one that I am truly excited and happy to be embarking upon. I met with the president, vice-president and coordinator of SWAA (The Society for Women Against AIDS in Africa) where I will be volunteering for the next eight months. They are absolutely lovely and very excited to have me here, a feeling that is more than mutual. In addition to helping them with fundraising and media relations, I will also be spending time in some of their sattelite organizations, all of which are committed to empowering women and children infected or affected by HIV. I seem to have landed in a group of African feminists too....which is so exciting!

Otherwise, the food so far has been delicious, the heat more than bearable (I even managed to exercise today sans air conditioning) and the experience a complete feast for the senses. Everywhere beautiful colors, new sites to see, new smells to inhale (sometimes good, sometimes not so good...read exhaust fumes and the non-refrigerated meat section at the market!) and wonderfully kind people to meet. It has only been five days or so, but I am fully ready to announce that I love Ghana! I am very happy to be here, to be taking part in such an incredible experience where I feel incessantly stimulated, challenged and inspired.

Of course, I miss you all and think of you often too...but I think that this stay in Accra will go by in a flash at this rate!

So yes, this is my news. The body is well (still tired though and a bit sunburned too) the mind is well and I am happy. I will be getting a cell phone soon, so will be sure to send out my number asap in case you feel like dropping a line (with calling cards, its quite cheap). I check my email every few days and the connection is quite quick so I will try to post new chapters as often as I can.

Until next time, take good care, enjoy the cold weather (ha!) and keep on keepin' on
Kisses
Sophie

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Be careful. Of everything. said...

Yea! Fun blogging time - glad to hear you're doing well and settling in. Sounds like your posts will keep us all more than intrigued by your adventures! miss you...take care!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger jaydubmah said...

Sophie, it sounds like you're doing so well! Your descriptions are so vivid that I can picture you there... you're going to have an amazing experience. I will send you an email soon - I know how appreciated notes from afar are when you're away. It's awesome that you're pretty much settled in... although the 2 hour commute sounds painful. I'm going to pass this blog address on to Jeff now... (this is being sent from his account, but it's me! Hilary!)

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sophie,
My name is Dallas Curow, and I just started the MA media studies program. Mark Harris noticed I was reading your MA thesis for some research i'm starting, and directed me to your blog here. I'm hoping to study HIV/AIDS and the blogosphere (in short), and will be a loyal reader of your stories in Ghana. I hope you have a wonderful time, and best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home