Sophie's Adventures in Ghana

Friday, November 10, 2006

The curse of the highway chicken

Hello my darlings,

Back with the newest chapter in my adventures...Have just completed my first week at the office, and though I must admit Im not necessarily unhappy that its Friday,Im also pretty excited at the idea of going back in on Monday. The fulltime staff at SWAA (small group, we are five including myself) are a lovely bunch, all very friendly and fun, and always willing to help guide the often incompetent obroni that I am (though they also take the time to laugh at me in the process!) The work itself has been a bit slow for the first week, but overall helpful...consisting mainly of reading documents on HIV in Ghana, chatting with the staff to familiarize myself with the organization,and making some phone calls to begin arranging meetings and appointments. This last component can prove rather frustrating at times, in that telephones are not always answered (and there are no answering machines), and commitments hard to come by. Call back tomorrow, call back next week, call us later when the president is in. But regardless,I already have a few meetings planned for next week, and continue to feel confident that this research thing will work itself out (most of the time, that is). Plus, I feel like every minute contributes in some way or another to the process, teaching me something new about Ghana, its culture(s) and people(s). My brain has become a sponge, soaking in every little detail...and it feels quite pleasant!

On the social side of things, things are also well. Beyond the wonderful staff at SWAA, I have been meeting lots of interesting souls...like the lovely hairdressers who work at the World Braids Centre in front of the office, who seem to have taken a liking to the newest Obroni in town. People keep on chatting me up in the streets or on the trotros (the minibuses), curious to know where Im from, what Im doing here, for how long. Granted, in some cases, this attention proves a bit frustrating in that it seems to often come from very persistent men who seem ready to admit their undying love after three minutes spent in my company! I already have at least seven phone numbers of individuals I will probably (most probably) not end up calling, and propositions of free hairdressing, visits to Ghanas hotttest attractions, so on and so forth. Its not even flattering really, because it just happens so often you cant help but wonder what the motivations are behind this unrelentless attention.

The cold is gone and the health good (still no worms under my skin!), and I continue to enjoy myself immensely and to count my blessings for being able to take part in such an incredible experience. There is always something new to see, from the beautiful fabrics sold in wood barracks on the side of the streets, to the countless chickens wandering the streets, even on the busiest of highways. The people are so friendly and helpful too, they really know how to make an obroni feel welcomed (okay, sometimes a bit too much...read the overbearing admirers)

I have a nice weekend ahead of me too...tonight, a relaxed evening at home cooking and chatting with my roommie.Tomorrow, a day with Tim, a wonderful guide when it comes to discovering Accra and Ghanaian culture and Sunday, some laundry (I do it by hand in buckets so it counts as an activity in itself) followed by a bit of beach time with a few friends I met yesterday who are working at CUSO in Accra (the beach...and to think that there is snow in Calgary...sorry, I should not be rubbing it in, thats just mean!)

Thank you for your lovely emails and posts...I will try to reply to them personally sooner than later. But in the meantime, know that I think of you often, that I hope that all is well and good on your side(s) of the screen, and that I miss you all very much!

Bisous
Sophie

1 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sophie did you enjoy spending x mas in ghana?
zenabu Ibrahim
cedic perfect stars

 

Post a Comment

<< Home