Sophie's Adventures in Ghana

Friday, December 01, 2006

The early bird gets the worm

Hello my lovelies!

Back again for the most recent chapter in the fun and worm-filled adventures of Sophie in Ghana. (False advertising though, cause I remain worm-free, as far as I (and my intestines) are concerned.)

Yet another week down and yet again I am left to wonder where it went and what exactly I managed to accomplish in the course of the past seven days...

Last weekend was good, very relaxing and uneventful for the most part. I did my laundry (part of Sophie's little routine in Ghana and a recurring theme in the blog, along with the worms, of course), spent some time lying in bed reading Middlesex (an amazing amazing novel that I recommend to everyone) and stuffing my face with some of that lovely Kingsbite chocolate, made from 100% authentic Ghanaian cocoa, so rich and so yummy (and then I wonder why those extra pounds are finding their way onto my body...). On Saturday evening, we headed to yet another ocean-side club (I know, I know, tough life) for some drinks and dancing. The band treated us to some lovely melodies, but a group of very (very) persistent rasta-men rendered it rather difficult to enjoy the dancing portion of the evening. Though we made it quite clear that we were not interested in their company, they did not seem to get the hint. They insisted on trying various tactics, asking endless questions, dancing too close all the time, and a particularly ambitious one even attempting the "grab-from-behind-and-grind" approach, met with very little success might I add (unless you consider a quick escape, an outraged "don't do that" and nasty look on my part successful). Sunday was spent exploring Accra and doing some food shopping. I found a little book kiosk along the way where I purchased two relationship advice books by Nigerian love guru Praise George (for my research, of course!). Read through them that same evening and was treated to an array of slightly useful, at times offensive and definitely amusing advice and information. And for all of you who were wondering, the number 1 mistake made by single women: "You fail to look good" (direct quote from George, P. "21 Mistakes that Single Women Make." Lagos, 2005).

Before I knew it, Sunday evening rolled around and then it was Monday morning...and time to get back to work after yet another fun-filled weekend. The week proved to be quite busy, with lots of meeting scheduled, a few things to do around the office and hours and hours spent taking notes and trying to make academic sense of all the incredible moments, experiences and encounters that fill my days in Ghana.

Had a few social shindigs too, including a lovely cocktail at the Canadian High Commissioner's residence in honor of Madame Michaelle Jean's five-day visit to Ghana. A lovely evening spent on the commissioner's well-manicured lawn, rubbing elbows with Canadian diplomats, expats and volunteers, and enjoying free drinks and best of all a huge cake decorated as the Canadian flag and ice cream drizzled with authentic Canadian maple syrup (so yummy, I had to have two servings!). On Tuesday, I met up with Tim, whom I hadn't seen in at least a week, and treated him to his first meal at a Chinese restaurant (yes, it is true that you can find absolutely everything in Accra). My guest being new to the art of Chinese cuisine, I ordered in the more neutral palette (cashew chicken and veggies and tofu) and though hesitant at first, he ended up quite liking it, even managing to polish up the plate of chicken. We also visited with his (always lovely) family along the way, as well as Mr JB, the director at the school where Tim teaches. This kind albeit slightly untactful man greeted me with an enthusiastic "wow, you've gained weight!." Thanks Mr JB, I hadn't noticed! I can't recall what happened on my other evenings, but they probably involved copious amounts of food (another important leitmotif both in my Ghanaian experiences and my blog renditions of them!).

Which brings us to today, Friday December 1st. Though it's World AIDS Day today, it's also National Farmer's Day in Ghana, which means that offices are closed and everyone stays home. So I spent the day doing some work in the safety of my lovely little room with the big big bed, finished up my weekly laundry load in less than two hours and ate some more Kingsbite chocolate to congratulate myself on this new record. Tonight, I am meeting up with Lidvina and Ranjith for supper at Sunshine Cafe, an Indian restaurant I hear is quite delicious. There will be no drinking by the ocean though, because tomorrow I have to get up at 4 o'clock (yes, that's 4 o'clock in the morning!). Tim has invited me to attend his uncle's funeral in a town two hours from Accra, an invitation I was more than happy to accept (and I had already said yes when he mentioned at what time we would be leaving...). I assume that Sunday will be spent sleeping in and recovering from the inhumane waking experience of the previous day...and then who knows? I guess you'll have to read about it next week as the newest post appears in Sophie's worm/food-filled blog.

So to give my usual physical-emotional state recap, I am still happy, still (very very) well-fed and still loving my time in Ghana. I feel really good here, more relaxed, less tired and healthier than ever (which is strange, because as a Canadian travelling to Ghana you expect everything to go wrong with your health, not the opposite).

Of course, I miss you all (still, always) and continue to think of you, my sweet poor souls trapped in a cold and Kingsbite-free world. So on that note, I send lots of sunshine, authentic Ghanaian cocoa and love your way.

A bientot mes cheris!
Sophie

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Sophie! You're doing so well! You've made friends, learned to defend yourself against ridiculously persistent men, tracked down decadent Ghanaian chocolate, and seem to be totally enjoying yourself! I look forward to these Friday blogs... after I give Jeff the summary of life in Ghana, we stop a moment and dream of warm African sun before we notice we're shivering, run to turn up the thermostat and pile on more sweaters...

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger blah blah said...

Oh Sophie, I learn so much from your blogs! In addition to learning that Ghana is probably the place I want to be in most at the moment because of the warmth and not to forget the incredible cocoa, I now know that I am single because I don't make the effort to look good! Lol Glad to hear that you are doing well love- Life sounds great for you!

Sane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home