Sophie's Adventures in Ghana

Friday, March 23, 2007

Feel the Burn

Note to self: Hiking in Ghana hurts. It hurts on a number of levels. First, though it may not be Sulfur mountain, or the Three Sisters, or Brokeback mountain as for that matter (and god knows I kept my eyes open for a stranded Heath or Jake along the way…better yet both…), Adaklu mountain is pretty damn steep. Sure, it’s also beautiful and covered in lush vegetation and crowned with some impressive boulders at the top, but above all, it’s really really steep. Combine this with the fact that I have not been swimming, nor walking very much as for that matter, and that my measly little yoga routine thrice a week is the only think that has kept my muscles from fully atrophying in Ghana, and you end up with the perfect recipe for a sore obruni. And sore I was, not only during the said hike, but for a good five days following the ascension.

Oh, and did I mention that it’s really hot in Ghana? Yes, my lovelies, now add searing noon-sunshine, tropical humidity and 35degree weather to the steep mountain and inactive jello-body and voila, ‘tis the story of my weekend hiking adventures in the Volta region. The worst part in all of this is that just as we had plugged through the first third of the hike, up to a small village in the mountain, sitting on a bench for a good hour panting and sweating profusely, we saw a few women go by, flip-flops on feet, baby on back and log or heavy basket on head. They had come up the same way as we, ridiculous boot and backpack-wearing mountain conquerers, and somehow had barely broken into a sweat. Put us all to shame. Well not all of us actually, because Elizabeth has been going to the gym in Accra and was thus able to merrily prance up the mountain. Meanwhile, the three whiny stepsisters struggled to drag themselves up a never-ending 45degree incline, cursing and tripping along the way. Partly out of envy, partly for revenge, and partly because I think it’s quite witty, I nicknamed her Sporty Spice, a label I intend to use from now on. Ha! Sticks and stones (and big ass mountains) may not break your bones, oh but for the bitter pain of being associated to mediocre pop stars from the 90s (plus Sporty Spice was like no one’s favorite!) Ha, fit Elizabeth, take that!

All right, bitterness and burning muscles aside, we had a lovely weekend. Though painful, the hike was wonderful and allowed us to sit at the top of Adaklu mountain and overlook the vast expanse of the Volta region, in all its green freshness. We stayed in a really nice hotel, complete with pool and rooftop restaurant/bar, where we ate some yummy food and celebrated St-Paddy’s day in style (ie had a great excuse to drink beer). And I must admit it was quite nice to escape from Accra and enjoy a little getaway with the lady-friends…good for the body (okay maybe not) and certainly much appreciated by the soul.

And so it is that sore-legged but otherwise unharmed, I began another busy week, filled with interviews and other exciting research-related endeavors. I’ll spare you the details though, because I don’t feel a blog is an appropriate place to discuss such matters (ie I’m lazy and I don’t feel like talking about my work right now). Suffice it to say that all is on track, that I’m feeling inspired and motivated, and ready to take full advantage of my last two months and a half in Ghana (how quickly time flies).

There will be no lady-getaways this weekend, no crazy treks up a mountain in oven-like temperatures. Instead, there will be eating and drinking with friends, and some good ole fashioned lying in bed reading the last Harry Potter book while gorging on Kingsbite chocolate. What more can a girl ask for, really? A Jake or a Heath might be nice, I guess...or better yet both ;-)

I miss you my darlings.
A tres bientot
Sophie

1 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Julia said...

hi sophie!
so good to see you are still doing well. we miss you in mtl and i hear you are missed in cowtown, too! lots of love and looking forward to hearing more about your research and other adventures when you get back...
big hug,
julia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home